"Deals" via Budget in Google Reader

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Child Birth Classes

Husband-Coached Childbirth (Fifth Edition): The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth 
There are a lot of ways out there that you can educate yourself on having a baby. What you choose will depend a lot on what type of birth you want to have. Many women are able to have the birth that they wanted without ever cracking a book or taking a class. It all depends on the type of person you are and your expectations.

Books
There are a ton of good books out there about pregnancy and birthing.
 Books that I read :
Other Popular Books
Websites:
  • BabyCenter - I would not credit this a leader in a sound and researched birth information, but it does have some great information for starting points for your own research.
Hospital Classes:
  • Most hospitals will hold classes on child birth, they may hold many classes that cover specific topics so that you can pick and choose the classes that interest you. 
    • I did end up taking the breastfeeding course offered by our hospital and my husband took the class offered for Dads, but I did not take their birth class.
Private Classes:
Many communities have non-hospital affiliated classes available. 
  • One popular example are the Bradley Method classes. Name sound familiar? Yes, he is the "sweater ornament" person, but his method of "Husband Coached Childbirth" is popular and boasts being quite effective.
  • For those of you local to Kalamazoo, a popular spinoff of the Bradley Method classes are hosted by Birth Kalamazoo. This class teaches elements of the Bradley method, but also incorporates other methods and ideas of natural child birth.
What did I do?
  • I read the books listed above, I borrowed most of them from friends, the library or other (free) resources. 
  • I googled any questions I had about different methods, keeping in mind that not everything on the internet is true.
  • I took the Best of Natural Child birth class from Birth Kalamazoo, taught by Jessica English.
  • I took the Breastfeeding class from our local hospital.
  • Dad took a "Daddy boot camp" class through the hospital as well.

What books did you read?
Did you read "What to expect when you're expecting"? Did you like it?
What websites did/do you use?

Next week: The last post in this series "what to pack" and the first post where we really start looking at ways to save money.

1 comment:

  1. I think that choosing a childbirth class is one of the most important decisions that a woman makes during her pregnancy. Thanks for laying out the options, Katherine! (And for mentioning Birth Kalamazoo :) ) I like your book list! I would add "The Birth Partner" for support people, it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete